At Cannon Dental, preventing cavities, gum disease, and other oral health problems for Salt Lake City, UT area patients is the foundation of our practice. By visiting us twice per year for routine teeth cleanings and exams, you can avoid pain, money, and headaches by avoiding more extensive procedures and time in the dental chair.
Benefits of regular teeth cleanings
Brushing after every meal and flossing daily go a long way towards keeping your teeth and gums healthy. However, even the most diligent patients can regularly miss hard-to-reach areas or the deep pits and crevices in their teeth, which can lead to the formation of plaque and tartar. A prophylaxis cleaning at Cannon Dental is one of the best ways to remove plaque and tartar from teeth and at the gumline. In fact, once tartar has formed on teeth, brushing and flossing cannot remove it and having a dental professional remove it helps “wipe the slate clean” every six months. In addition, regular teeth cleanings can help you get rid of bad breath and leave you with a sparkling smile!
Components of routine hygiene visits
At Cannon Dental, each component of a routine hygiene visit is important and helps you achieve and maintain optimal oral health. When you come in for your teeth cleaning, our dental team will:
- Perform a visual inspection of your teeth and gums to identify any potential problem areas
- Take x-rays as needed to visualize the inner portions of your teeth and bone that are invisible to the naked eye
- Using specialized dental tools, gently scrape and plaque, tartar, and bacteria that have formed on your teeth
- Polish your teeth with a gritty toothpaste that helps reduce the surface area for bacteria and plaque to cling to, as well as give your teeth a pearly white shine
- Floss between your teeth and gums to eliminate any leftover debris, toothpaste, and plaque
In addition, Dr. Cannon will perform a thorough exam and ask you about any questions or concerns you have to ensure that your teeth and gums are healthy. We can also perform any other preventive treatments as necessary during your visit, such as the application of fluoride or dental sealants to protect your teeth.
Patients in the Salt Lake City, Holladay, West Valley, Bountiful, and surrounding communities trust their oral health care to Cannon Dental. To schedule a routine cleaning for you or a member of your family, call us at (801) 406-9985 today!