Did you know that more adults in the United States lose their teeth to gum disease than cavities? Both issues are detrimental to your oral health, and can not only lead to costly and time-consuming treatments, but also negatively affect your self-confidence. At Cannon Dental in Salt Lake City, UT, our team of dental professionals is here to help you achieve and maintain your best smile, and that starts with good oral hygiene at home! Below, Dr. Cannon provides tips to keep your teeth and gums healthy.
How to brush and floss for the best results
Using the proper brushing and flossing technique is important to help eliminate as much food, plaque, and bacteria from your teeth as possible. If you are already going through the motions to brush and floss, you might as well get the most value out of your time! Dr. Cannon recommends using the following techniques when you brush and floss:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a toothpaste that has the seal of approval from the American Dental Association
- For the outside surfaces of your teeth, put your toothbrush at a 45-degree angle between your teeth and gums, and then gently move the brush in a circular motion with small strokes and light pressure
- For the inside surfaces of your teeth, use short back-and-forth motions
- Make sure you brush all surfaces of every tooth, as well as the surrounding gums, for a total of at least two minutes
- Use floss or another type of interdental cleaner at least once per day to clean between your teeth and gums; this is the area that is most susceptible to tartar build-up and decay, and lack of flossing is a big contributor to gum disease
- Rinse your teeth afterwards to remove any debris or plaque that were loosened during brushing and flossing
Professional dental cleanings
Great home care is an important part of preventing cavities and other oral health problems. The other piece of the equation is seeing your dentist at least twice per year for professional cleanings—these visits are like pressing the “Reset” button on your oral health so you can have a sparkling, clean smile. During your hygiene visit, we use specialized dental tools to gently remove any plaque and tartar that have built up on your teeth since your last visit, and then we polish your teeth with a gritty toothpaste to reduce the surface area that bacteria and plaque can cling to and give your teeth a pearly white shine.
Answers to your oral hygiene questions
Our team is always happy to help answer your questions about the best way to take care of your teeth at home, and can demonstrate any techniques necessary to help you get the most out of your home hygiene practice. We also provide parents with tips on dental hygiene for kids at each stage of life, from how to take care of your baby’s teeth to helping encourage older kids to take proper care of their teeth.
To schedule your oral hygiene visit, call Cannon Dental at (801) 406-9985 today. Our office serves the Salt Lake City, Bountiful, West Valley, Holladay, and surrounding communities. We look forward to seeing your healthy smile!