Dental crowns have been used in dentistry for many decades, and for good reason – they are one of the most versatile treatments available to restore, protect, and transform the appearance of teeth. At Cannon Dental in Salt Lake City, UT, Dr. David Cannon designs and places crowns that not only function well, but blend in seamlessly with your smile so it doesn’t look like you have had dental work done.
What are dental crowns?
Dental crowns are custom-made dental restorations that are designed to fit over the entire surface of a tooth; in fact, they are often called “tooth caps” because they are like a tooth-shaped cap that covers the tooth. Crowns can be made from a variety of materials, including porcelain, stainless steel, other metals such as gold, or a combination of materials. Many patients choose porcelain or porcelain-fused-to-metal, especially when a crown is being placed over a front tooth, because they have the most natural-looking appearance.
Why a crown might be recommended
Because dental crowns are a very reliable way to repair a number of dental problems, Dr. Cannon may recommend that you have one placed in a variety of scenarios:
- For protection of a tooth that has been weakened to prevent further damage
- To repair a tooth that has already sustained significant damage, such as a fractured or severely worn down tooth
- To restore and protect a tooth that has had root canal therapy
- As the false tooth on top of a dental implant to replace a lost tooth
- To anchor a dental bridge in place
- To protect and restore function to a tooth that has had multiple restorations or needs a large filling and has left little natural tooth structure in place
- For cosmetic purposes, such as to cover a permanently stained or misshapen tooth
What to expect
Like many dental restorations, the custom process we use to design and create your crown typically takes two office visits. First, Dr. Cannon removes and sanitizes any damaged or decayed areas of your tooth and then shapes it so that the crown will fit properly in your mouth. Then, we take impressions and place a temporary crown on the tooth while the laboratory fabricates your permanent crown. Once it is ready, you come back into the office, where we will remove the temporary crown and check the fit of your new crown before cementing it into place.
Cannon Dental is known for the high-quality dental restorations that they place, and dental crowns are no exception. With a dental crown, you can achieve protection and functionality that looks great and can last for up to 20 to 30 years. If you are in the Salt Lake City, Bountiful, Holladay, West Valley, or surrounding communities, call us today at (801) 406-9985 to schedule your appointment!